How to care for your Aja Botanicals candle
Make the most of your favourite fragrance by following our simple steps to care for your candle.
From the first burn to the last flicker, we want to ensure your candle continues to look and smell its best. Crafted from all-natural waxes of coconut, soya and beeswax, our designs are made to ensure an ultra-clean burn. For an aromatic experience that will last longer, read on to discover our top candle care tips…
How to care for your wick
- Trim the wick: Before lighting your candle, trim the wick to approximately ¼ inch (0.6 cm) in length. This helps to prevent excessive flickering, smoking and uneven burning.
- Use a candle snuffer: Instead of blowing out the candle, consider using a candle snuffer to extinguish the flame. This helps to prevent hot wax from splattering and reduces smoke.
- Keep the wax pool clean: After extinguishing the flame, ensure that no debris or wick trimmings are left in the melted wax pool. This helps to prevent potential hazards and ensures a clean burn for future use.
- Reset the wick: Ensure that the wick is upright, above the wax and central before the wax sets. Re-trim to approximately ¼ inch (0.6 cm) before each use.
How to burn your candle safely
- Position with care: Before lighting, carefully assess the placement of your candle, ensuring it is out of reach of children and pets, and away from any flammable materials.
- Avoid drafts: Place your candles away from drafts, such as open windows, fans or air conditioning vents. Drafts can cause uneven burning, dripping, or even extinguish the flame.
- The first burn: Allow your candle to burn long enough for the entire top layer of wax to melt and create an even pool of liquid wax. This helps to prevent tunnelling – where the candle burns down the centre and wastes wax.
- Avoid overburning: It's generally recommended not to burn a candle for more than 4 hours at a time. Overburning can lead to overheating, excessive smoke and a potentially dangerous situation.
- Keep an eye on burning candles: It's essential to never leave a burning candle unattended. Always extinguish the flame before leaving the room or going to sleep, for safety reasons.
- Avoid touching hot wax: Never touch or move a candle while the wax is still hot or liquid. Allow the candle to cool completely before handling or moving it.
- Know when it’s time to let go: Stop burning your candle when the remaining wax level gets down to 1cm.
Did you know?
Our artisan candle holders are hand-blown in the beautiful city of Istanbul and our wax is hand-poured in the UK to create a quality finish that will elevate any interior with a sophisticated, fragrant flair.
How to store your candle
When not in use, store your candles in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Excessive heat can cause candles to soften or warp, while sunlight may fade the colour and scent.
How to refill your candle
We will soon be launching refill sets for our single-wick and three-wick candles. Sign up to our newsletter to be the first to know once these become available for purchase.
- Once the wax in your candle glass has been used, use warm soapy water to carefully clean it (don't be tempted to put it in your dishwasher). Our 100% natural wax is water-soluble and is therefore easy to remove. The wick adhesive pad will be stuck to the bottom of the candle glass, please do remove this.
- Once your candle glass is clean, check to ensure it doesn’t have any cracks in it. Unwrap your candle refill, remove the cover on the adhesive pad on the base of the candle refill and firmly push down into the base of your glass. Please read the candle safety instructions.
- Light your candle. We recommend lighting your candle for at least 2 hours (and no more than 4 hours) until the wax has melted to the edge of the glass. This will help the wax mould to the glass and means you will get the longest possible burn time from your refill.